With the day dedicated to the celebration of love just around the corner, we thought we’d share a nice gift idea you can make for that special someone. There’s no sewing involved (except for a simple running stitch with needle & thread) & it will last a lot longer than your traditional chocolates or roses.
Recipe For His & Hers Scatter Cushions
3 plain ready-made cushion covers
heat ‘n’ bond iron on adhesive
lightweight fabrics for appliqué letters
photocopied initials & ampersand symbol (for appliqué templates – letters need to be approximately 23cm high)
3 cushion inserts
- Print the initials & an ampersand symbol on the home computer to as large as you can go then take them to your local photocopy outlet to get them enlarged further so they measure approximately 23cm in height.
- Using scissors or a cutting blade & mat, cut out the letters & ampersand symbol from the paper to create the templates for your appliqué.
- On a flat surface, lay your fabric face side down & place the first of your letters on top, face side down. Trace around the template with a pencil. Repeat the process for the other letter & ampersand using the fabrics chosen.
- Cut roughly around the letter outline to remove any excess fabric.
- Iron the fusible web to the wrong side of your fabric piece then cut the letter out.
- Remove the backing paper.
- Position the letter onto the centre of your cushion cover then iron into place.
- Repeat steps 4 through 7 for the other letter & ampersand.
- Using your embroidery floss & needle, sew a running stitch around the perimeter of the letter, approximately 2-3mm in from the edge. This will help to secure the letter, especially if you plan to wash the covers.
- Sew another row of running stitches, this time 2-3mm out from the letter’s edge. This stitching line will help to frame the letter/ampersand.
- Don’t choose a fancy font that’s too fine or curly – they tend to be too fiddly to cut out.
- When selecting fabrics, choose three that relate to one another in colour or pattern, so the cushions connect visually.
- Great gift idea for an engagement or wedding present.